Copyright 2023 © INCM. All rights reserved.
Resources for Children’s Ministry Leaders on Racism, Reconciliation, Diversity, and Inclusion.
Because children’s ministry has the opportunity to shape the future of the Church, this weighty responsibility requires that we fully embody our roles as ambassadors of the message of reconciliation (1 Cor. 5:11-21). We have a great responsibility to reflect the heart of God as a diverse community of disciples, and also as leaders of kids and families.
INCM exists to connect you to what you need to champion the discipleship of kids and families. This page of curated resources has been designed to specifically connect you to thoughtful, valuable tools for nurturing Kingdom wholeness in our own lives and ministries. This page will be updated regularly with additional resources, and is organized by topic and recommended audience (though some could fit in numerous categories).
Racism And The Role Of The Children’s Ministry Leader (Article)
- This article by INCM’s Executive Director, Michayla White, unpacks 5 of the key roles we must fill as we address racism in our hearts, homes, and community.
This Children’s Minister’s Perspective on Racial Injustice (Article)
- Esther shares her story hoping to make the daily reality for people of color tangible and real to readers who may not have any experience with what that looks like.
Understanding Issues of Race (Article)
- Sam Luce shares his journey he’s been on to see the world through someone else’s eyes in books.
The Color of Compromise – Jemar Tisby (Book)
- An acclaimed, timely narrative of how people of faith have historically–up to the present day–worked against racial justice. And a call for urgent action by all Christians today in response.
Why are the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? – Beverly Daniel Tatum (Book)
- This book covers the psychology of racism and helps those seeking to understand the dynamics of race in America.
- *Non-Christian Resource
Four Questions to Ask Yourself Before Talking to Your Kids About Racism (Article)
- Many parents are uncertain about how to talk about racism with their kids. As you think about it, we encourage you to ask yourself a few questions.
How to Talk to Your Children About the Death of George Floyd (Article)
- This article provides a biblical perspective on how we can help our kids process these events as followers of Christ.
How to Talk to Kids about Race and Racism (Book)
- A children’s book with a clear description of what racism is, how it makes people feel when they experience it, and how to spot it when it happens
- *Non-Christian Resource
What is the Church’s Role in Racial Reconciliation? (Article)
- For a recent study on race and equality in America, conducted in partnership with The Reimagine Group, Barna set out to contribute to a broader understanding of race relations in our present moment and equip church leaders with context for challenging conversations.
Be the Bridge – Latasha Morrison (Book)
- With racial tensions as high within the church as outside the church, it is time for Christians to become the leaders in the conversation on racial reconciliation. This power-packed guide helps readers deepen their understanding of historical factors and present realities, equipping them to participate in the ongoing dialogue and to serve as catalysts for righteousness, justice, healing, transformation, and reconciliation.
Bridging the Racial Divide (Podcast)
- Host Tom Bump is joined by Mahogany Dudley-Finley (Training Manager at INCM) and Eric Hamp (Senior Pastor) to respond to our country’s crisis.
Raising Kids Who Will Initiate Racial Equality (Article)
- As parents, we need to check in with our children to discover what they already know, what they’ve seen/heard and what they think about it all.
The Gospel in Color – For Parents (Book)
- This book is written specifically to equip parents to provide their children with a biblical perspective on race and racism, while celebrating the gospel’s power to bring about reconciliation.Through rich illustrations and approachable text, this book helps parents present their kids with big ideas in an engaging way.
When God Made You – Matthew Paul Turner (Book)
- A children’s book celebrating the fact that we are all uniquely created by God and we are to live and create and love in the fullness of our God ordained uniqueness.
The Gospel in Color – For Kids (Book)
- Racism is a painful, complex issue, and can be challenging to explain to children. That’s why The Gospel in Color — For Kids is written to facilitate honest conversations about race and racial reconciliation between kids and their parents.
Diversity and Inclusion
Fostering Biblical Diversity (Article)
- This article shares practical ways to foster a biblically diverse environment and how that impacts the way we lead kids and families. You will be inspired by the passion for unity and the wisdom for reflecting Jesus in how we serve the diverse family of God!
What Nehemiah Teaches us about Leadership, Diversity and Inclusion (Article)
- The Old Testament prophet Nehemiah serves as an archetype of a great leader, and he understood the strategic advantage of diversity and inclusion in organizations.
Cultural Intelligence (Youth, Family, and Culture) – David A. Livermore (Book)
- Twenty-first-century society is diverse, and Christians must be able to understand other cultures and communicate effectively between and among them.
Raising Kids Who Embrace Those Who Are Different (Article)
- Much has been written what not to say when engaging with an individual with a disability. But what are some positive alternatives?
The Work Of Teaching Kids to Value Everyone (Article)
- We all have to be willing to do the work needed to make sure the next generation is one defined by their ability to see the intrinsic value in every person they meet.
ColorFull: Celebrating the Colors God Gave Us – Ms. Dorena Williamson (Book)
- This children’s book highlights the way we can celebrate racial diversity.
ThoughtFull: Discovering the Unique Gifts in Each of Us – Ms. Dorena Williamson (Book)
- This children’s book highlights the way we can thoughtfully support others with varied abilities.
God’s Very Good Idea (Tales That Tell the Truth) – Trillia Newbell (Book)
- This book will help children see how people from all ethnic and social backgrounds are valuable to God and how Jesus came to rescue all kinds of people.
INCM hosted a FREE webinar for anyone who serves children and families!
In this webinar, we’ll be discussing how to harness unity and agreement in leadership! You can expect to:
- Discover what Scripture says about leading with unity and agreement.
- Learn how to engage and influence co-laborers to unify under a common vision.
- Gain understanding in their role as a leader who nurtures agreement and oneness within their ministry community.